"One Thing Remains" Chris Quilala
The thing is, One Thing Remains remains one of the best songs about God's faithfulness.
Best line: "In death, in life, I'm confident and covered by the power of Your great love"
1) Impact: The style of worship music this song ushered in is pretty much ubiquitous today.
2) Longevity: We still sing this song today, albeit not as much as we used to.
"10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)" Matt Redman
This is Matt Redman's best song, and that is saying a lot.
Best line: "On that day when my strength is failing" is one of my favorite lyrics in any song ever.
1) This song is basically a part of the modern church hymnal.
2) We still sing this song today, a lot.
Honorable mentions: Holy Spirit - Bryan & Katie Torwalt, Lord I Need You - Chris Tomlin
"All the Poor and Powerless" All Sons and Daughters
This song marked a true shift in what worship music could sound like.
Best line: "Shout it, go on and scream it from the mountains"
1) This song inspired a whole generation of Christian artists.
2) I still love this song, and we sing this song today.
Honorable mention: Set a Fire - United Pursuit
"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" Hillsong United
I remember exactly where I was when I first heard this song. I was floored by the artistry and power of the song.
Best line: "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders"
1) This song broke down the wall between performance and worship, mixed it all together and blessed the whole world.
2) We don't sing it as much today, but I will forever have fond feelings towards this song.
Honorable mention: Alive - Hillsong Young & Free, I Shall Not Want - Audrey Assad
"Great are You Lord" All Sons and Daughters
Writing this has made me sad that this band broke up. They left us with some truly great songs.
Best line: "It's Your breath in our lungs, so we pour out our praise"
1) This song is powerful in every type of setting: bedroom, campfire, Sunday morning, conference, or stadium.
2) We still sing this today and I bet you do too.
Honorable mentions: This is Amazing Grace - Phil Wickham, Man of Sorrows - Hillsong Worship, Come as You Are - Crowder
"O Praise the Name (Anastasis)" Hillsong Worship
Hillsong seems to release one amazing song every year, and this is one of their all time best songs.
Best line: "O praise His name forevermore"
1) This song is theologically rich and musically catchy. Hillsong nailed the "modern hymn."
2) We definitely sing this song today.
Honorable mention: No Longer Slaves - Bethel Music, This is Living - Hillsong Young & Free
"What a Beautiful Name" Hillsong Worship
Ditto everything I said about "O Praise the Name." 2016 was an amazing year for worship music, any of the honorable mentions could also be song of the year.
Best line: "You have no rival, You have no equal"
Honorable mention: Good Good Father - Chris Tomlin, O Come to the Altar - Elevation Worship, Build My Life - Housefires, Yes and Amen - Housefires, Tremble - Mosaic MSC
"Reckless Love" Cory Asbury
This song spread like wildfire and ignited debate about the nature of God's love.
Best line: " I couldn't earn it, I don't deserve it, Still You give Yourself away"
1) Musically this song fit perfectly into the sweet spot of the worship genre.
2) We don't sing this song as much anymore, only because we sang it too much.
Honorable mention: So Will I (100 Billion X) - Hillsong United, The Way (New Horizon) - Housefires
"Living Hope" Phil Wickham
A well written modern hymn has the potential to unite churches from all backgrounds in praise of our God, and this song did just that.
Best line: "You have broken every chain, there's salvation in Your name"
1) To me, this song represents the culmination of the "worship wars." The vast majority of churches in America now worship God without too much stylistic debate.
2) We still sing this song today, it's not that old!
Honorable mention: Into Faith I Go - Pat Barrett, Praise Before My Breakthrough - Bryan & Katie Torwalt, New Wine - Hillsong Worship
"Raise a Hallelujah" Bethel Music
This is a powerful anthem of trust and belief in God's faithfulness.
Best line: "Louder and louder you're gonna hear my praises roar"
1) The theme of victory and revival have been big in 2019, and this song was the one that helped the church express victory in Christ.
2) We still sing it, it's still new!
Honorable mention: Another in the Fire - Hillsong United, Goodness of God - Bethel Music, Awake My Soul - Hillsong Worship
Song of the Decade